Casting the Net Blog

Blog for the "Casting the Net" Learnscope Project.
Exploring the use of audio lessons, MP3 players, audioblogging and podcasting in education.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Youth of today spurn podcasting

I think the heading of this article is a bit harsh. Youth aren't "spurning" podcasting - they just aren't into it as much as the oldies.
A new US survey has shown that it's not young people who are driving the growth in podcasting, but the older generation.
I think what is happening here is that the the oldies are more likely to show an interest in, and take the time to listen to, an informative or educational podcast (Radio National's podcasts have been very successful, for example) whereas the younguns probably only care about listening to music on their iPods or MP3 players.

Link: Youth of today spurn podcasting - vnunet.com

2 Comments:

  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting feedback - thanks sean

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Sean
    I think one of the reasons the youth are not so warm about podcasting is to do with the copyright attached to radio programmes playing music. We older people are more likely to go for spoken word material anyway. I met a former acquaintance at the ABC recently, he works in New Media. They are quite delighted at the interest in podcasting that RN has generated. In my home it has sent our broadband bill through the roof, we will have to look at a new plan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home